Plumber Damages Home during repair

Users who are viewing this thread

luke02

Reaction score
HI, I had both water heaters replaced today and one of the plumbers put his foot thru my cathedral ceiling by a mis-step while inspecting the project. The whole is about 2X3 and 20 ft off of my hall floor. They gave me their insurance agents # (I already had policy), but the agent is closed today for good Friday. I refused to pay them for the work today until my ceiling is fixed. Is this understandable? I think that's fair because now the project isn't complete. I will certainly pay in full once my ceiling is repaired. The forman (he's the 1 who did the damage and almost went thru the ceiling again!) didn't say anything but sorry for the damage. I havent heard from the owner yet. Please advise.

Also, they installed the Bradford White M-1-XR504T6FBN not the M-2-XR504T6FBN (thicker insulation) that I was quoted in the bid, should the cost now be reduced? What is the price difference? thanks for any advice!!! :eek:

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
damages

As a contractor it would be understandable to me if a customer didn't want to pay for a job until the damages where taken care of or a settlement made. However they may request a percentage of the job to be paid especially if the contractor doesn't have a decent operating budget. Of course I would make sure their insurance is current and will cover your damages before I would pay anything.

I have about $180 difference between those two models so I would expect the price to be reduced some if they don't have other "extra charges".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
damages

Why would the "cost now be reduced"? The job is the same one that you would have had without the damage, and the insurance is going to repair the ceiling, unless you are going to be a customer that is not going to be happy with the repair. He will, and should, be the one to contact the insurance agent.

luke02

Reaction score
Damages

I think he meant price should be reduced for NOT using the H2O heater in the quote. It was a sheaper model. i just want the work done to my satisfaction.

Clayton

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Utility Bills

I do not know if they got your permission to make the subsititution of the M1 for the M2 before they installed it or not. Something to think about would be the additional energy cost to operate the M1 units, although i'm sure the difference will be minimal there would still be some difference. Now you have 2 water heaters that may show a slight increase in your utility bill over what the M2 model would have for the entire life of the units.(7-15 yrs. guesstimate)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
heater

Sorry, I thought you were just saying that you used two different water heaters, not that they had substituted them. It is possible that the distributor did not have M2 models in stock, but in any case, as long as that was specified, and if it is detailed in his proposal so he cannot deny it was the original model proposed, then you should get the "retail" difference between the two tanks.

luke02

Reaction score
Damage

They didn't get my permission, or tell me there was a switch. The M2 was documented in the proposal. I pay attention to details, and the M1's were deliveved and installed without a word from them. I have other difficulties to deal with before this (ceiling damage), but when I talk to him, I'll address the price difference too. I haven't signed anything nor paid anything yet. Thanks for all the help here!!!