Plenty of pressure but not water from faucets - I'm lost

Users who are viewing this thread

catldavis

Reaction score
Hello all...I have a weird situation. I installed a building along with approximately 90' of 1" water lines (underground) to the well pump. I have an aerator, pressure tank and booster pump at the well. The pressure gauge on the booster pump shows 60 psi. I have a cutoff valve under the building (it's elevated like a mobile home) that I have in the 'off' position. With the cutoff valve in the 'off' position, the pressure gauge holds 60 psi (or close) for days. Today, I turned the cutoff valve under the building to the 'on' position. Surprisingly (at least to me), there was just a very weak (really a drip) of water coming out of the kitchen faucet and no water out of the bathroom faucet. The toilet attempted to fill, but it was so weak I could lift the fill tube to make a "u" shape (if that makes sense) and it almost stops water from coming out (like it's gravity feed). I thought maybe the pressure gauge on the pump was wrong so I cut the pipe above the cutoff valve under the building and the pressure was sufficient to "hiss" and blow a pressurized stream of water as I cut it. I turned the valve on and water blew out of the line, confirming it has plenty of pressure. There are no other cutoff valves. What could be happening? I'm sure there was sand in the 90' of water lines coming in to the building, could that have plugged the faucets almost immediately? Could there be a leak in the wall? Seems like if there was a leak in the wall it would have been sufficient to cause water to come out by the baseboard or at least I could hear a hiss. I am totally lost on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
....... I have in the 'off' position. With the cutoff valve in the 'off' position, the pressure gauge holds 60 psi (or close) for days. Today, I turned the cutoff valve under the building to the 'on' position. Surprisingly (at least to me), there was just a very weak (really a drip) of water coming out of the kitchen faucet and no water out of the bathroom faucet. ......

I think you really mean shutoff valve. Before you moved the valve, was everything working as expected? Is this a new installation and first time wanting water into the home? Water flowing from the faucets?
  • What is this cutoff suppose to do?
  • Is this the first time you every moved this valve?
  • What type of valve?
  • Cutoff "on" means to me it is in the closed position.
  • Is this a shutoff to the home for maintenance or repairs are needed instead of walking out the pump area and shutting off the water?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Hello all...I have a weird situation. I installed a building along with approximately 90' of 1" water lines (underground) to the well pump. I have an aerator, pressure tank and booster pump at the well. The pressure gauge on the booster pump shows 60 psi. I have a cutoff valve under the building (it's elevated like a mobile home) that I have in the 'off' position. With the cutoff valve in the 'off' position, the pressure gauge holds 60 psi (or close) for days. Today, I turned the cutoff valve under the building to the 'on' position. Surprisingly (at least to me), there was just a very weak (really a drip) of water coming out of the kitchen faucet and no water out of the bathroom faucet. The toilet attempted to fill, but it was so weak I could lift the fill tube to make a "u" shape (if that makes sense) and it almost stops water from coming out (like it's gravity feed).
At that point, you should have looked at the pressure gauge again.

A leak in a wall should have made the pump turn on, and the pressure gauge drop.

How about the tub spigot -- does it just dribble too? Could be a valve that you have not found yet.

Could be a crushed pipe. How much distance between the pressure gauge and the home -- was that the 90 ft?

catldavis

Reaction score
I think you really mean shutoff valve. Before you moved the valve, was everything working as expected? Is this a new installation and first time wanting water into the home? Water flowing from the faucets?
  • What is this cutoff suppose to do?
  • Is this the first time you every moved this valve?
  • What type of valve?
  • Cutoff "on" means to me it is in the closed position.
  • Is this a shutoff to the home for maintenance or repairs are needed instead of walking out the pump area and shutting off the water?

Yes, it's a 3/4" PVC ball valve. I didn't move the valve, it's a new install. Correct, the cutoff is there so you don't have to walk to the pump and turn that ball valve.

catldavis

Reaction score
At that point, you should have looked at the pressure gauge again.

A leak in a wall should have made the pump turn on, and the pressure gauge drop.

How about the tub spigot -- does it just dribble too? Could be a valve that you have not found yet.

Could be a crushed pipe. How much distance between the pressure gauge and the home -- was that the 90 ft?

That was my thoughts too...Pressure gauge holds consistent pressure, even with both sink faucets open. That would be because little to no water is coming out of the faucets. No tub, shower only. It's not a valve that I haven't discovered, I installed all the lines (new) from the well to the faucets. Yes, the distance from the well to the shower/kitchen is the 90'. I think my plan at this point is to disconnect the water line from the bathroom (then kitchen) sink shutoff and then install a different stainless line on the shutoff and run it in to a bucket. Open the shutoff and see if water is coming out. That would eliminate the faucets being restricted with sand.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Before the underground pipe was connected to the house, did you flush the pipes outs? I'll almost be certain it'll be geckos before any sand. If there is that much sand or soil, it be rare unless someone dumped a allot of it in the pipes during construction. Sand or dirt would slowly flush out. Small stones can jam up at elbows and really plug up things. With irrigation pipes mold can grow inside the pipe when not used for many months and when the water is turned on it all gets lose and it'll plug up filter screens 100% on sprinkler heads.

There are millions of geckos in Florida and they are everywhere. I've had many get inside garden hoses if the nozzle was ever left off. You spin on the nozzle and turn on the water, they instantly turn to jelly (dead ones) and plug it right up. I've had then plug up garden pressure prayers and one time one got jammed in my pressure washer at the filter screen on the garden hose connection. Other times one or two are in live Christmas trees you bring into the house.

They run to dark places when threaten and hoses or pipes for water. Right now I have glue traps inside my screened in patio because of geckos. They are harmless but the wife doesn't like them if they ever get into the house. 30 years in Florida, only fire ants are worse. Geckos are harmless and you'll see them eat certain ants but not fire ants.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
ok with the pump on and valve to house open does pump just keep running? that tells the obvious that you got a leak.
pull a supply line or angle stop see if water comes out? cut the water main pvc see if water comes out? variations to this but you should get idea. If theres a tee with a plug remove it. just a little investigation

catldavis

Reaction score
ok with the pump on and valve to house open does pump just keep running? that tells the obvious that you got a leak.
pull a supply line or angle stop see if water comes out? cut the water main pvc see if water comes out? variations to this but you should get idea. If theres a tee with a plug remove it. just a little investigation

No, pressure gauge on booster just holds pressure so doesn't seem like there could be a (significant) leak. That is what I cut, the main and water had plenty of pressure. The line goes from the booster pump underground for 90', reemerges and there is a check valve and then in to the ball valve to turn water off at the building. It then comes out of the ball valve and goes from PVC to CPVC and tees, one of the lines goes under the building for approximately 8' to the shower supply and enters the building through the floor. The other line goes straight up through the floor and in to the sink in the kitchen and over to the sink in the bathroom (they share the supply line). It is literally 8' from the ball valve to the sinks. I cut the supply line after the ball valve right before it tees. As I was cutting the supply line, it "hissed" (for lack of a better term) and was obviously under pressure. I opened the ball valve to the now cut supply and plenty of water gushes out so it's getting pressurized water to the bottom of the building.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
May I ask who did the plumbing in the building? It all should have been pressure tested for an inspection. It would take a full break of a pipe not to get any water at the fixtures, there is a block somewhere or another valve is closed? As you stated, you'll need to remove a stop valve at one of the fixtures. Is there a water heater? If yes is it getting water? You'll need to open the T&P valve to purge it of air.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks