Please Help. Drain Installation for Tile Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

emcconne

Reaction score
Hi all. Sorry for asking such a simple question but the instructions included with the shower drain are not clear at all. I'm installing a tile shower drain before the pre-pack gets poured for a custom tile shower enclosure, however I'm not sure which part of the drain should rest on the subfloor. The subfloor is actually 1/2 + 5/8 plywood if that matters. Here is a picture of the drain. Please help. The tile guy is supposed to start on Monday :|.

N2plumbing

In the Trades
Reaction score
In your picture, the top part you marked is the bottom of the drain flange that fits flat on your subfloor. The divots are for the flange bolts and you can notch the floor to fit them in. Be sure to set it plumb for your tileman.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Deck mud over a plywood subfloor needs some thickness to survive, this is why the clamping portion of the drain needs to be above the subflooring height. As mentioned, at least 3/4", and an inch if possible. Then, the liner gets installed, then the setting surface. Did you put in blocking and notch the studs to allow the liner to sit flat and not bow out around the edges? The setting surface ends up being a constant thickness, since the preslope is already sloped the proper amount. The details of how to do this can get specific, and if done wrong, you'll end up with a leaky, and/or smelly shower. You want the setting bed to be at least an inch thick, too. This will somewhat dictate how high the curb must be. Many people assume that the tile is the waterproof layer, but it is not, the liner is, and it must be sloped and the weep holes open, or you'll slowly accumulate stagnet water underneath the tiles in the mudbed. This is one reason why I prefer a surface membrane (Hydroban, Kerdi, Nobel, etc.). this puts the waterproof layer immediately underneath the tile, and there's much less that can get wet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks