Please Comment: PEX Leaching

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by molo, May 29, 2009.

1. molo

molo Member

I just googled "PEX leaching". There are a lot of results condemning PEX as a harmful product. What does everybody else know about this?

Here's a quote:
    "After three years of litigation, the
    California Court of Appeal in Los Angeles ruled that a controversial plastic
    drinking water pipe known as PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) must go through
    an environmental review under the California Environmental Quality Act
    ("CEQA"). Studies have shown that PEX pipes leach MTBE and benzene into
    drinking water, that PEX may prematurely decay and rupture, and that the
    flammable material may allow fires to spread rapidly through homes with PEX
    plumbing. The court therefore upheld the decision of California's Building
    Standards Commission to conduct thorough environmental review before deciding
    whether to allow the use of PEX."
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I don't know where you got that quote, because CA now allows PEX, although not every local jurisdiction is on board.

I don't have any knowledge about the leaching thing.

You have to remember that in CA, every time a cell phone company tries to get a permit for a new antenna, wackos come out of the woodwork and claim that the radiation is dangerous. And many parts of CA still do not have flouridated water, due to opppostion from the same wackos. Faucets with PEX internal parts ....thank the CA prop 65. Welcome to LaLa land!
  3. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

604.11 California 2007 Plumbing Code....PEX allowed, subject to limitations of the famous matrix tables.
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Just walk away
    ;)
  6. .

(sits and watches thread with much interest :D)
  7. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Hey Rugged. How long before this one turns into a full blown war? :D

I'm so damned sick of this subject. No matter what anyone says on either side, nobody is changing their minds. Might as well argue politics and religion.
  8. molo

molo Member

I honestly did a search on the forum for PEX leaching before I posted this. I didn't come up with much so I went to Google. Then returned to the forum to open it up for discussion. I found some claims that it does leach bad stuff. I looked at some PEX fittings today (sharkbite made by Reliance) and they have the statement "known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects". What's the truth about this material (PEX) and it's fittings?

9. I don't think it will happen on here. It's here to stay (the product) which is obvious. I don't knock anyone using it (I do) other than the fact that you have to have extensive background knowledge to know which one will last, which one won't.

There are so many flavors that baskin-robbins filed suit last week; stated they have the rights to "31 flavors" :D

Copper is copper, 2 flavors; thick and thin. :)

I seriously think the eyebrows on my head causes cancer. Sooner or later someone will do a study and we'll all lose our eyebrows because 2 mice out a million that died through the experiment...'showed probability'.

I went on a hunt to find images and somehow it is very difficult to find it. I know the sites to go to and find them, but they aren't revealing on the search engine finds.

Something tells me that $$$$$$$$$$ has a lot to do with that influence.

Hold on, brb. Someone is knocking at my door.
  10. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The notice you see on the sharkbite is the CA prop. 65 lead warning on brass., NOT on the PEX/

Jan 2010 the lead in faucet spec goes from down to 0.06 % or thereabouts, which is why PP, Delta, and Moen, as well as Globe Union, are scrambling to put out their "ULTRA LOW LEAD" models. Some of them are on the market now.

LOOPHOLE: The spec is for the average lead content of all water-contact materials. SO, if you have a LONG pull out spout ( non metalliic hose) or a 36" long non removable PVC supply line attached (PP), that keeps your average down!
  11. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

12. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Your tin foil Helmet is inferior to my duct tape masterpiece. :D

Attached Files: