Piping type for recirc lines

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by ckl111, May 8, 2009.

1. ckl111

ckl111 Home Builder

Do recirc lines require the copper pipes to be thicker? Type M or Type L ?

I was wondering if the constant movement of water would slowly corrode pipe faster.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

It will, but mainly because the return circulation pipe is usually smaller so its velocity it higher, unless you install a valve BETWEEN the pump and heater, NOT BEFORE the pump, and close it until you have just enough flow to keep the line warm.
  3. franck@geneseo.net

franck@geneseo.net New Member

How quickly might one expect errosion to penetrate the wall of copper tubing? In my proposed re-circulating system I'll be using Type L, 3/4" return line in a gravity flow system.
  4. FloridaOrange

FloridaOrange Plumbing Designer

You should be fine with the 3/4" type L.

I was just reading an ASPE article yesterday on recircing systems. The author recommends not going smaller than 3/4" due to velocity and using balancing valves to control the flow as hj suggested.

Curious, on plans I always call for Type L copper for the water lines (when specifying copper anyway), do you typical use Type K?