Piping 3 boilers

Users who are viewing this thread

Wrot

Reaction score
Good Day,
I'm looking at removing one boiler and installing (3) oil boilers in a commercial building. There is already a 3 way valve on the existing system which is controlled by a building control system. The existing boiler water temperature or burner is not on the control system, so I was going to add a 3 stage boiler control. I sketched up a few drawing, but now I'm not sure which one would be the best option. The existing piping is 2-1/2" steel pipe on the mains, but near boiler piping is 2".
Heat loss was done, 500.000 Btu, so 3 boilers @ 167,000 Btu will go in and be staged as needed. The 3 way valve is my concern, P1 & P2 are powered all the time. #1 drawing would be like a Primary/secondary system, with each boiler pump & burner starting as the load increases. #2 Primary/secondary with a reverse return pipe configuration on the return piping. #3 is reverse return with water flow through the 3 boilers and the staging control would start the burners as the load increases, but the downside of #3 is the increased standby losses.

Attachments

• 3 Boiler.PDF
    107.5 KB · Views: 250