Pipe vibrating. No water running

Users who are viewing this thread

ktl5005

Reaction score
I did some updates to a first floor bathroom. Needed to cut some copper to get vanity out and went to pex as seen in second picture. First picture and third is pipe off main line that feeds the cold to that bathroom. Fourth picture is ball valve on that pipe

When I open that ball valve, the pipe has a palpable vibration to it. No water is running, no leaks, nothing. When I close that ball valve the vibration goes away. No noises, no hammer, everything is secure but hold that pipe and it's vibrating. Sometime vibration is worse and sometimes soft. But closing the valve stops it and opening the valve it returns and I can't for the life of me figure out why or if it is concerning. The farther you get from the pipe, the vibration goes away. Could have always been that way but never went looking before or had a reason to. 60psi at all outdoor spickets. Drained the entire system and no fix. Also drained the hot water tank of the sediment which wasn’t much and no fix. Food coloring in toilet shows no leaks.

Why am I getting vibrations with no running water and valve open but close valve to front bathroom and goes away?

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpeg
    IMG_2361.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2362.jpeg
    IMG_2362.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2364.jpeg
    IMG_2364.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2363.jpeg
    IMG_2363.jpeg
    99.6 KB · Views: 70

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
just to clarify non moving water dosent have a sound when you open and close a valve with equal pressure on both sides no noise should be heard . I think you are miscommunicating something , you have to allow water to completely enter the system ?

Reach4

Reaction score
Confirm that even the leak indicator on the water meter is not moving during the vibration symptom.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definately leaving out important info on this youll need to explain better makes no sence

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks