Pipe split, how does this happen?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by mfellows, Jan 10, 2013.

1. mfellows

mfellows New Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    I found what I thought was a pinhole leak in the 1 1/2" copper stub (attached to a pvc trap) under my daughters kitchen sink. When I cut just behind where I thought the leak was, I found the split you can see in the picture. I was wondering if this was a manufacturing defect or what can cause this sort of failure? This house was built in the 60s using 1 1/2" copper for DWV. pipe.jpg
  2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Feb 6, 2011
    Information Technology
    NW Ontario, Canada
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    The "split" was probably on the bottom and was caused by waste and possibly drain cleaners flowing through the pipe.