Pipe size needed to softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I will be re-pluming my garage to make room for a water softener. The softener says it has a 1" input.
I will need to T into the main water line. Should I keep it 1" from the main line all the way to the input of the softener.
Or, do people run 3/4" and then connect to a 1" input valve?
We get about 55-60PSI.
The existing configuration looks like it T's into the main line with a 1" line. But than 4' down the line looks like a compression fitting that goes into 3/4" and that feeds the hot water heater. Breaks out into 1/2" copper lines to the kitchen out of the hot water heater.
How long do I stay 1" and why are their pipes branching out that are 1/2"?
They are all L type copper pipes.

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to bring 1 inch into the softener and out. You can usually drop to 3/4 after the water tees off to the WH.

1/2 inch copper is good to supply a bathroom or kitchen normally I think, although you can run 3/4 for the cold to a bathroom. For PEX, you probably want 3/4 for the cold to the bathroom. To supply two bathrooms with a pipe may need a larger pipe.

Tee off after the main valve, and before the softener, for irrigation water.

Reaction score
I read a Home Depot review that this individual bought 1" L type copper pipe for his project. He said the fittings would not fit as the pipe was actaully OD is 1.125"?
Is this something I need to be concerned about with buying 1" L type copper pipes and 1" fittings? I have never seen or heard this in online discussions?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I had my new iron filter and softener installed, we used 1 inch copper adapters. They had a quality control issue where only 1 of them would fit. We had to take them to a machinist to turn them down.

Just make sure they fit before you take down the existing system.

Reach4

Reaction score
I read a Home Depot review that this individual bought 1" L type copper pipe for his project. He said the fittings would not fit as the pipe was actaully OD is 1.125"?
Is this something I need to be concerned about with buying 1" L type copper pipes and 1" fittings? I have never seen or heard this in online discussions?
1 inch copper is 1.125 OD. That is true for types K, L, and M.

1 inch copper fittings are made to fit 1.125 OD round pipe. If they do not, the fitting is defective or the pipe is defective -- such as bent out of round.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I doubt the issue was with standard copper pipe and fittings but rather the special adapter that mates to the head.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I doubt the issue was with standard copper pipe and fittings but rather the special adapter that mates to the head.
For example, in my case it was item #4, Brass Sweat Assembly that we needed to turn on a lathe.

Attachments

• AcroRd32_2020-03-15_14-30-04.jpg
    AcroRd32_2020-03-15_14-30-04.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 369
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks