pipe protection

Users who are viewing this thread

Jetlag

Reaction score
I know if you put a pipe in a hole or notch in a stud or other member it has to have a metal plate on the sides less that 1.5 " from the edge of the stud. I see in a DIY plumbing book that pipes ran parallel to the studs have to have protection for the entire length that is within 1.5 of the edge. In other words they say don't fasten the pipe to the stud but space it 1.5 " away from it and fasten it to a cross piece between the studs. I know that is true on electrical wires but the distance is 1.25 " so we stack the wires on top of each other so to stay in the center of the stud. I cant find anything in the IRC plumbing code about protecting pipes parallel to studs. all I find is for pipes passing thru studs and plates. Does any one know if the DIY book is correct ?

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the DIY book is correct, then my inspectors have been missing it for over 60 years because I have NEVER protected a vertical line. The drywallers might hit a pipe going through the stud, which is why we protect them, but if they miss the stud entirely, we cannot prevent that. I once had a siding crew put 6 spikes through the center of a vertical drain line which was 2" away from a stud. Electricians put their wires through the center of studs so that NO ONE else can put their pipes in the wall. I have told people that electricians have a special class they MUST attend which shows them how to install a 1/2" conduit through the center of the Diamondback's stadium in such as way as to take up ALL the available room, so that everyone else has difficulty installing their items.

Jetlag

Reaction score
thanks HJ , around here the plumbers an ac usually go first , the wires will go around any thing and the wires do have to worry about "what wont run uphill" !!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is usually the case, but quite often, the contractor schedules the trades the way they are available, and may even have them all working at the same time. On one job, at my neighbor's house, I drilled my holes for the water lines and before I could install them the electricians ran their wires through them. They were pulled so tight that it was impossible to move them out of the way, so the snips were used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks