Pipe incursions into garage ceiling code violation

Users who are viewing this thread

EEProf

Reaction score
When we bought our house (New Hanover Co, NC) four years ago the inspector told me that the pipes poking out of the ceiling in the garage from an upstairs bath were not to code since they were not sealed. I was not concerned and wouldn't bother but we found crawly nasties in the under sink cabinet that could only have come in that way...sooo, I decided to seal the holes. There are three, toilet, sink and tub drains (see photos). The tub drain (1.5") was tricky, but I think it is fine. My issue is with the two 4" pipes. Can I just spray foam up in there? Other suggestions appreciated. I figured as long as I am doing it I would stay true to code if possible.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_6601.jpeg
    IMG_6601.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6591.jpeg
    IMG_6591.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6590.jpeg
    IMG_6590.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6589.jpeg
    IMG_6589.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 46

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score

Eman85

Reaction score
Why not do what you did to the smaller pipe? Just use something thin like sheet aluminum coil that they use for covering fascia.

EEProf

Reaction score
usually a house to garage is one hour rated and requires fire stopping and prohibits plastic drain pipe penetrations
I don't know what the code is here, I just assumed that the 'issue' was the fact that the penetration openings were not sealed. So if the code was no plastic penetrations, would the solution have been to box the pipes in?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know what the code is here, I just assumed that the 'issue' was the fact that the penetration openings were not sealed. So if the code was no plastic penetrations, would the solution have been to box the pipes in?
I think boxing it might work. really cant say if that would be allowed or if the envelope has to be the cieling

EEProf

Reaction score
I think boxing it might work. really cant say if that would be allowed or if the envelope has to be the cieling
The codes are tricky and something of a moving target. I am fairly familiar with electrical, but plumbing not so much. In any event, those pipes are 'grandfathered' in for now and the seals are going to work great for my prime objective which was to eliminate bugs from getting through there. Will also help with air flow and, should there be a fire (knock on wood) it will slow it down.

If the envelope had to be the ceiling, which is currently 16', the only solution would be a false ceiling under the current one. Just not feasible with this house. Cheaper to put a set of sprinklers up there and even then that might not satisfy the code :rolleyes:.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
The solution for pipe pennatrating a fire wall is that the pipe needs to be metal and then sealed with fire caulk.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fires that start in the garage are usually pretty involved. You definitely want to get those buttoned up.

Check local codes and find the right product.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
If the envelope had to be the ceiling, which is currently 16', the only solution would be a false ceiling under the current one. Just not feasible with this house
All you need to do is just build a box out of 2x4 to cover the pipers, then screw fire-rated gypsum board onto the newly built joists. No need to do it for the entire ceiling and completely removes the need to verify what kind of fire caulk or foam is acceptable.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
All you need to do is just build a box out of 2x4 to cover the pipers, then screw fire-rated gypsum board onto the newly built joists. No need to do it for the entire ceiling and completely removes the need to verify what kind of fire caulk or foam is acceptable
Soffiting the entire bit is definitely one way to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks