pipe deburring

Users who are viewing this thread

lmyancey

Reaction score
Does anyone make an outside deburring tool for 1/2" copper pipe? My pipe cutter makes a small bur on the pipe which I usually file off to make it go into the fittings easier. With a bathroom remodel I now have to cut a lot more pipe and there has to be a better way. The guys at the plumbing supply store said it was my cutter so I bought a new one, a snap-around "AutoCut" unit that really works well especially close to the wall, but the bur is still there-smaller, but still there.

Someone must make a manual tool that will remove the bur and put a small chamfer on the OD. Where can I get one?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
burr

Doesn't just sanding the pipe ends take off enough?
Will just pushing the burred pipe into a 1/2" fitting do it?
I don't believe I've seen burrs there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cutter

The wheels on the cutter usually roll the burr down. The Auto-cuts do not put enough pressure on the tubing to do that. They were designed as a special application cutter, not a general use cutter.

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
We were experiencing the same problem on 3" copper lines. My guys talked me into buying a belt sander. It's faster than a file and better than sand cloth. I admit that's a bit of overkill on 1/2" and 3/4". How about replacing the cutting wheel. New whells leave less of a burr and put less wear and tear on the user.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks