Pinhole leaks in hot water only

Users who are viewing this thread

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
My neighbors told me that they recently discovered that their hot water pipes in the basement, which were covered with foam insulation, had pinhole leaks.

They had plumbers come out and replace both their hot and cold water pipes in the basement with PEX. They didn’t touch any of the piping in the walls.

We’re both on municipal water and the houses were built at the same time. Should I be expecting something similar soon? Or did they get taken advantage of? Why would only the hot water pipes be affected and only in the basement? Could the foam insulation have caused this somehow?

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I am not aware of insulation ever causing anything harmful.
I would need to see a sample section of the pipe in question. Water chemistry can cause copper pipe deterioration and municipality would have contributory responsibility. But, there could be electrolysis issue in a particular house. Also flow from pumped recirculation can induce tube or fitting failure.
Copper mfrs typical warranty is 50 years.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Why would only the hot water pipes be affected and only in the basement?
It could possibly be small particles from a disintegrating anode rod in the water heater that settles out in the basement horizontal runs causing the pinholes.

Reach4

Reaction score
Are your hot pipes type M (red ink) copper pipe?

Reach4

Reaction score
Glad to hear you have L. Now if the leaky pipe your neighbor has is M, you can feel a little better... for a while.

DirtyJerz

Reaction score
Yeah these homes were all built at the same time by the same builders. So I doubt they were using different grades of copper across them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks