Pilot Light Stays Lit Yet Hot Water Does Not Come On

Users who are viewing this thread

ghatfuswow

Reaction score
I have a Bradford White water heater model# MI40T6FBN with an electronic Honeywell gas control knob.

At first, I was having issues with the pilot light not staying lit, so I went out and replaced the pilot assembly. Now that I've done this, the pilot light will stay lit, but I don't get any hot water.

What might be wrong?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The pilot light heats up a sensor - that sensor must be properly positioned and clean to produce the signal that tells the WH it's okay to turn on the main burner. Replacing the pilot light assembly may mean the flame size or position isn't correct to heat that sensor (a thermocouple), thus, the WH thinks it is unsafe to turn on the burner. If that isn't it, it's either the thermocouple, the gas valve itself, or you didn't turn the valve to operate, and it's still on pilot.

ghatfuswow

Reaction score
I ended up placing a call to tech support.

They told me to pull the cover off the combination gas valve/thermostat (there's a single screw on the lower left of the cover) to reveal three pins. I was then to measure the resistance between the center pin and the left pin and then the center pin the right pin. From there, if my reading on both measurements was not 12-13ohms, it would indicate the combination valve/thermostat is bad.

I did do the measurement and it looks like the valve is bad; my center to right reading yielded an open.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the combination gas valve/thermostat. Not sure how to go about it since the manual only covers removal of the White-Rogers gas valve/thermostat.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks