PH Neutralizer

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Dan_Cef, Jun 22, 2009.

  1. Dan_Cef

    Dan_Cef New Member

    I have an old soda ash solution ph neutralizer. It is basically a tank filled with a solution of soda ash and water. The tank has a pump on top that kicks on when my well pump kicks on. The solution is pumped from the tank, through a plastic tube, and into my main copper water line before the bladder tank. The level in the tank hasn’t gone down in a while, telling me that something is not working correctly. I can hear the pump running and when I disconnect the tube, it is able to pump the solution all the way through it (holding the tube in the air at a height of 8’). Could it be that the pump on the tank is not producing enough pressure to inject the water into my main water line? Also, there is a small plastic piece connecting the tube from the solution tank, to my copper pipe. What is this piece, and could it be faulty? Are there any special priming procedures that need to be done when hooking the tube back up to this plastic piece? I have just been letting the tube fill and then quickly pushing it on to the plastic piece and tightening. Any help diagnosing the problem would be appreciated. If you need more info, let me know,

  2. Gary Slusser

    Gary Slusser That's all folks!

    For the last 20 yrs I have refused to sell solution feeders because of this and other inherent problems. I think the 8' is too high but, in that plastic fitting on the water line, there is a check ball valve, they stick preventing the solution pump from being able to inject solution through it.

    So you have to remove and clean it if possible, or replace it with a new one after shutting off your water and bleeding off the pressure.

    It kinda sounds as if you don't have a retention tank, or the plumbing wouldn't be up at the 8' ceiling.

    There are check valves in the pump too and you should be able to buy a rebuild kit for you brand feeder (like Chem Tech is it). Or your style of injection system doesn't have any because it squeezes the tubing to move the solution.
  3. Dan_Cef

    Dan_Cef New Member

    Thanks for the reply. I thought it may be a check valve. Is this a common part I could buy at HD/Lowes or will I have to go to a plumbing supply store?
    Also, just to clear up what I said, the connection is not 8' above the floor. I disconnected the tube and held the tube up with my hand while the pump was running and it was able to pump the water to the top of the tube. I just wanted to see if the pump was actually working. I will take a look at the valve. Thanks again
  4. Gary Slusser

    Gary Slusser That's all folks!

    A water treatment dealer is about the only place to get them unless a plumbing supply that sells solution feeders has them. Or
Similar Threads: Neutralizer
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Acid Neutralizer drain/vent help needed Feb 2, 2012
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice acid neutralizer soda ash and cold weather Feb 5, 2011
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Acid Neutralizer Installation Questions Dec 17, 2009
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Acid neutralizer problems Oct 24, 2008
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice semi clogged pipes after adding calcite to neutralizer Sep 28, 2008

Share This Page