PEX through HVAC air return

Users who are viewing this thread

Fixr

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been a reader for a while, but this is my first post. I'm grateful for all the expertise and feedback on the forums here. I'm a DIY'er that bought an old house in Seattle 2 years ago, and I spend a lot of time searching and browsing for info to help with my projects. We are fixing it up one system at a time while living in the house. I end up on here a lot.

My 1948 home has a mix of galvanized and copper pipes that show signs of heavy corrosion and need to be replaced. They are on their last limb. I decided to self-install an uponor PEX system with home runs to a manifold. I mapped out the system and finally ordered all of the parts last night, and want to get permit pulled and start work very soon.

I'm planning out the runs in the basement ceiling and realized that there's a HVAC air return in the path to the kitchen. The air return is made from a piece of sheet metal nailed into the studs. I've read that the uponor PEX can pass through an air return if it's insulated 1/2"-1". Wondering what Seattle code says?

Separately, I'm planning to decommission the original oil forced air furnace and replace it with a ductless mini split system. At that point the air returns will no longer be active and fair game to run pex through. But it looks like I may have to wait a couple months to get a contractor lined up for this install, and I can't wait that long to install the pipes.

What are your thoughts about the following options? Any other suggestions?

Option 1:
Run the PEX through the air return. Cut out the HVAC sheet metal wide enough to install insulation over the PEX. Replace the sheet metal after inspection.

Option 2:
Same as option 1 without insulating. Hope the inspector passes it, and if not then complete option 1.

Option 3:
Wait for the oil furnace to be decommissioned and the mini splits to be installed. Risk burst or leaking pipes.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks