PEX SSC clamps versus standard method

Users who are viewing this thread

avellino

Reaction score
I see most contractors in my area using the standard method as compared to the SSC (Stainless Steel Clamp). Why? Is the SSC method less reliable? Anyone been using the SSC method for a while? Should I stop using the method?

FOr a visual explanation between standard and SSC, follow link below

http://www.pexinfo.com/

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Wirsbo, expansion ring system verses a clamped system? Most of the pros here seem to prefer the expansion system, but others are obviously in use. The safest thing is to use the system offered by the manufacturer of the pex you choose, i.e., don't mix and match.

avellino

Reaction score
Actually

What I meant is:

Most contractors in my area use the black copper ring for pex connections. I use and like to use the stainless steel clamp connection because I find that I need less clearance in hard to reach areas and obviously the other plus is the same tool will crimp from 1/2 inches to 1 inch of pex tube.

That being said, has anyone had a bad experience with the stainless steel clamps? Should I stay away and go only with the black copper rings?

For another visual of what clamps I am talking about ...see below ...Has anyone used this method and is it just as reliable as the black copper ring method?

http://www.oetiker.com/content.asp?l=4&idNavig=25

plumbernj

In the Trades
Reaction score
What I meant is:

Most contractors in my area use the black copper ring for pex connections. I use and like to use the stainless steel clamp connection because I find that I need less clearance in hard to reach areas and obviously the other plus is the same tool will crimp from 1/2 inches to 1 inch of pex tube.

That being said, has anyone had a bad experience with the stainless steel clamps? Should I stay away and go only with the black copper rings?

I use only the S/Steel clamps.
They are more expensive that is why they are not always used. No need for a go/ no-go gauge.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
what is happenning here

the big problem witht he SS clamps is people are mixing the pexes up and mixing the fittings up

they are going to lowes and buying anything off the shelves and think that all they got to do is use those SS clamps

Wirsbo just recently went completely back to the expanding ring type arrangement becasue of troubles with
people useig the wrong fitttings with their pipe....
and the ensueing lawsuits.....

that is a nice pex site

but this pic of a wirsbo connection is totally wrong..
I would never pass that..I know it will leak on me..
that ring should be all the way up to the inner fitting and overlapping it just a hair...

I cant believe it is even on that site....

wirsbo6-6x4.jpg

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I use ssc clamps extensivly. I do repair plumbing and consider it the way I can do most jobs. I would not however buy stuff at big box... They sell Zurn! Still!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks