1. jafriede

jafriede New Member

I am going to be installing a water softener in a house I'm buying and will need to re-route some things. I am thinking of using Pex. I found a video on YouTube that showed 6 different methods of putting on ends. The two I'm considering are the crimp ring or the banding clamp. Which is the easiest/reliable? Is there any reason not to get the supplies from Lowes? They carry Zurn products.

Thanks
  2. wallskev

wallskev New Member

See other post

I use only the brass fittings and Clamp rings. Does require a tool ( About $100) but have had 0 leeks :)

See other post :
    PEX fastener terms -compression ring, crimp,clamp...

Kevin
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

My preference is Wirsbo. The tool is not cheap. Pex has memory. With a clamp, it is always trying to loosen. With the compression/expansion Wirsbo uses, it is always trying to make the joint tigher. Do either one right, and it should be sound, but having the extra layer of actually using the memory properties just makes me feel better.
  4. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Jim, you are a sage amongst fools.
  5. Basement_Lurker

Basement_Lurker One who lurks

A crimp ring system from a reliable manufacturer has never given me problems. Having said that, the wisbo system is definitely a premium system with a premium price.
  6. 99k

99k Radon Contractor and Water Treatment

The cost of materials and a tool is insignificant if you are a DIY and just cutout the plumbing contractor cost, therefore, go with the best!! Wirsbo is the best choice ... ProPress for the Pro (who can justify a 2K tool).
  7. OK?Guy

OK?Guy In the Trades

If you're a DIY, consider the Flair-It fittings. No tools required. It's a nut and cone set up. The nut slides over the pipe, the fitting is rocked into the pipe and the nut is threaded back over the fitting/pipe. It's that easy. Just hand tighten the nut until you can't go any further. If it leaks, tighten a little more with a Flair-It wrench. The fitting has a flaring cone that applies pressure to the ID of the pipe, while the double threaded nut threads onto both the pipe and the fitting, creating pressure against the OD of the pipe. Flair-It fittings are best used with PEX-a, which is a little softer than PEX-b.
  8. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Flare it fittings are CRAP CRAP CRAPPITY CRAP.
  9. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

huh¿ :confused: