PB Yard Service Repair ?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by theestimator1, Nov 19, 2008.

1. theestimator1

theestimator1 New Member

I will probably have to replace a leaking section of 3/4†Underground Polybutylene in a 150ft long Yard Service. I was thinking about using 3/4†PEX and Qest compression fittings because it’s easy (I am in the electrical trade, not plumbing). I worry about copper deteriorating underground. Is buried PEX and Qest fittings advisable or should I use something else? Thanks, Marty
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

There have been some questions about Quest. You'd want to use a larger pipe than that if you used pex since the walls are fairly thick.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You mean in around 100 years??
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

I question repairing a polybutylene line...
    When they go bad it is generally better to replace them.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Pb

Qest PB and PEX have the same i.d.'s, but if you join them with a PEX coupling, you have to use a pb crimp ring. But once it cracks there is a good chance it will happen again.
  6. Verdeboy

Verdeboy In the Trades

If it's outside and underground, why not just use PVC pipe and replace the whole length?
  7. theestimator1

theestimator1 New Member

Redwood made a good point. After a little reading, it sounds like the polybutylene problem will only get worse, and continue forever. Jimbo made a good point. I didn’t realize buried copper would outlast me.
    Now I’m thinking, eventually, 1†Type K copper w/ sweat fittings all the way. As a temporary fix, metal insert fittings & crimp rings could connect the old polybutylene to the new copper.
    Does this make sense?
    What material is used for a new 150ft residential Yard Service?
    Your advice is extremely helpful, especially to an electrical person. Thank you to everyone.
  8. No sweat connections underground.

3/4" @ 150' would be plenty

K is the best application, you could get it in one piece, problem solved with the connection underground, with K you can make a flared connection to the meter bracket outlet.

95% of all calls that come through my shop in relation to water service failures,

are plastic piping.

I can't make that up....it's just the statistic. The pipe is constantly expanding/contracting no matter what type it is.
  9. theestimator1

theestimator1 New Member

Thanks Rugged,

Unspliced type K copper does seem like the most durable and reliable material for Yard Service, although I do have one concern, pinholes.

theestimator1
    Master Electrician
    Maryland