Partially drilled into pvc

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Sherie, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Sherie

Sherie New Member

I was trying to hang a medicine cabinet and drilled a small hole into a vertical pvc pipe behind the sink, it didn't penetrate...I was using an 1/8" bit and the hole appears to be no deeper than 1/16".

Will the pipe hold? Is there anything I can put on there to reinforce it?

Thanks.
  2. D.Smith

D.Smith New Member

Is this on the main floor? Is there a bathroom above it?
  3. patrick88

patrick88 Plumber

Is this a 1st or 2nd floor sink? Is there a bathroom or anything else above it? If there is nothing above it it could be just a vent and the only thing flowing through it is air.
  4. Sherie

Sherie New Member

It's a one story home. The hot water heater is in the attic. The pipe is fairly large, maybe 2" and is not located directly behind the faucet, it's off to the side about 1 foot.
  5. D.Smith

D.Smith New Member

HWH wont use pvc except as a drain in case of leakage. More likely it is a vent. I am not a pro but shouldnt have any problems with this. If you feel comfortable about cutting that section of pipe out and replacing it with a coupling it wont hurt.
  6. Sherie

Sherie New Member

Thanks, I think you're right. I'm going to leave it be.
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It should be fine as long as you didn't penetrate into the pipe...there is no pressure in it.