Pan liner & curb

Users who are viewing this thread

John G

Reaction score
Hi,
I am building a new shower in my house from start to finish. House was built in the late 60's. There was a mortar bed on mesh for the walls, mortar bed on floor & no liner. A hole rotted in the top of the cast iron p-trap. Water would not drain before coming out on floor. I may have a little problem with my new build. I have a brick curb that is 3 1/2 inches high on outside and about 2 1/2 on the inside due to my pre slope. I cut the liner prematurely almost flush with the top outside edge of the brick curb. I already have the drain cut in also. Can I use metal lath & mud to secure liner, then tile it. I know liner was supposed to go over top but I messed up. I feel like I need to start over but want to move forward as well. I plan to use the corner dams as needed. Is my shower going to be too shallow after mud bed. My drain will have to be around ½ inch to ¾ since I did pre slope & used up some of my depth. I have pictures. Thanks in advance for any help.

John G

Attachments

• 20151014_182800 (1).jpg
    20151014_182800 (1).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 208

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might end up arguing with the building inspector...if you follow industry guidelines and the plumbing code, the curb needs to be at least 2" above the drain, and the setting bed on top of the liner needs to be about 1.25" thick per most manufacturers instructions and the TCNA guidelines.

The 'normal' way to get the curb tileable is to use lath and a richer mix of mud. The liner should go across the full curb and down the outside, and the lath would be overbent so it has some spring tension helping to hold it in place prior to mudding it.

The best place to ask questions like this is at www.johnbridge.com .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks