Painting copper pipes?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by rcav8or, Aug 5, 2006.

1. rcav8or

rcav8or In the Trades

Aug 5, 2006
    Electronics Technician
    Oxford, IN, home of Dan Patch
    I just finished plumbing the bathroom in my pole barn. I ran all copper pipes inside so I don't have to heat the whole pole barn, just the bathroom. I have a stool, urinal, deep sink, and a line going through the wall for a spigot outside.

My question is, even though I'd LOVE to polish the copper, I don't want that upkeep.

Is there a good way to paint the pipes, or will condensation make that unfeasible? It hasn't condensed yet, but I figure it will down the road sometime or other.

Or should I just insulate them with the foam?

Suggestions, please...

2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Sep 1, 2004
    Yakima WA
    If it was mine, I'd insulate with the foam. I really can't say how well paint will adhere to copper pipe or how long it will last, but I think you'll be better off with the foam.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Nov 12, 2005
    If you wanted to you could polish and seal with laquer which would work for a while then when it didn't look all that good you could paint. I have had paint on pipes that took a lot of work to remove. Paint tends to stick very well to copper in my NSHO.