p-trap orientation?

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMc

Engineer
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm about to put a new pvc p-trap in place and I'm noticing that the piece is not 100% symmetric. In other words if I view the thing from the side so it looks like "U", one side transitions more gradually from vertical to horizontal than the other side.

Sort of like this:

X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
X X
******X

I hope that can be read. So I'm curious, does it matter which end connects to the shower drain and which end goes off into the drain pipe to the sewer? In other words does the rest of the "P" go on the left or the right in this picture?

Just trying to avoid having to redo this later.

Thanks
-Dan

p.s. This started as a "paint the bathroom" project and it has gone seriously downhill....

DanMc

Engineer
Reaction score
2nd try on a drawing...

ok, that text drawing didn't work at all :eek:

I'll try again. here is a rather crude drawing of what I was trying to describe.

-Dan

Attachments

• p-trap.png
    p-trap.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 653

DanMc

Engineer
Reaction score
thanks

thanks for the quick reply. New trap is in and seems to be water tight. Got a bit more of that purple stuff on the sides than what I wanted which looks a little sloppy. But then again, in another day no one will hopefully ever see that pipe again.

-Dan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

When it was origianally introduced it was supposed to drain faster because the one side was a cycloid, but since there is no way to prove it, we install them either way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks