P Trap Interchange help.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by swest, May 5, 2014.

1. swest

swest New Member

Good day everyone, Long time viewer first time poster.

I like keeping my projects clean and I am struct with a simple fix but before I cut the abs pipe and add another straight coupling to extend a drain entry. Can you simply unscrew the p-trap union and buy a full assembly from the same company same part and simply use the trap part and screw it in the existing 90degree glued union joint.

I have a NIBCO 1-1/2 In. ABS P-Trap Union Joint and require to change the extension on the drain side tail piece side.
    Or the P-Traps made to only properly fit the 2 pieces bought together. In my picture I want to keep the top part and simply screw in a new bottom part from another assembly same brand and part. Can i be done?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

When I have a job which has one of those "P" traps, the first thing I do is get the SawZall and cut it off, then convert to a tubular drain assembly. But to answer your question, the traps are produced by extrusion presses so they make them all the same.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
  3. swest

swest New Member

So all from the same mold, should all fit the same. Thanks.
    I usually cut them off but I have no more pipe to use from the wall. Just coupling and bends and to make things simple just want to replace and not have more couplings going to the drain tail piece.