Overwhelmed, trying to buy a new softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Lee OKC

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to buy a new water softener. I currently own a small whirlpool softener from Lowes, which is 44,000 grains. I am definitely having hardness leak through. I recently had the water tested by the health dept and have the following results.

My Current setup
Well Water -> 1" line -> Pressure Tank -> 1" line -> Water softener (44k, Whirlpool) -> 1"inch -> Whirlpool whole home filter -> 3/4" line -> house

Here are my test results directly from the well.
Total Hardness 1160 mg/l (67 gpg)
Total Alkalinity 244 mg/l
Conductivity 2178 umhos/cm
Sulfate 1130 mg/l
Nitrate 1.2 mg/l
ph (@ 24 deg C) 7.5 units

Here is just the total hardness after my softener and filter.
Total Hardness 32.9 mg/l

I have a TDS tester, post filters/softener my TDS is 775 ppm, pre filters/softeners it is 1300 ppm.

SFR: My SFR at a tub inside is only 5 gpm. My SFR outside at a yard hydrant (which is directly off the well) is about 17 gpm. My Current plan is put in a high flow sediment filter (Rusco spin down 20 gpm), then the new softener, and remove the whirlpool whole home filter. Hoping this will increase the flow inside the house.

I have had a kinectico dealer come out and give me his spiel and test the water, he said there is no iron (I haven't noticied any iron rust in the house and we have been here for a year), but he tested my hardness at 34 gpg, I recently retested the water with a hach hardness test kit and it turned blue at around 45 gpg. I have read that hardness can change with well water. I have spoken to some of my neighbors, and they have had tests up to 120 gpg. I have spoken to an online dealer who recommended the Fleck 6700 XTR with 110k. I have also thought about the Fleck 9100 SXT with twin tanks as we have a tendency to run the dishwasher in the middle of the night (delay for 4 hours before bed) so I don't want to wash dishes with hard water. I have researched the heck out of this water softener, the internet is a great tool, but can sometimes be way overwhelming. I am hoping for more information and any recommendations. I appreciate any help.

Edit: I forgot to mention, there are 4 people in the house. Using the common 4ppl * 75gallons * 67gpg I get 20100 grains per day.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I have seen local wells range wildly from 30 GPG to 120 GPG seasonally. There is a twin alternating 9100 with sensors/meter combo that would be ideal for your application but in all reality, if it were me I would lean toward a larger 9100SXT and use a Hach 5B test kit and set the hardness to the actual level every few weeks. The test only takes a few minutes. The 6700XTR is a neat valve but... not something I would recommend.

I have sent you a PM.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
You would not normally run outside taps with softened water. You could put in a softened tap outside for washing the car, but you don't want to water the lawn or garden with softened water.

Regarding the dishwasher with a single tank softener, you could set the dish washing to happen at 1 AM and have the softening done at 3 AM.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks