Outlets on Opposite Sides of Wall/Partition

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by OscarG, Jul 17, 2007.

1. OscarG

OscarG New Member

May 11, 2007
    Not sure where I saw something about a code requirement that outlets serving rooms on opposite sides of a wall/partition need to be at least 24 inches apart. Intent was to prevent fire spreading across partition thru the penetrations.

Can anyone give me the specifics of this?

I have a situation where there is an outlet on an inside wall and I want to mount an outlet on the opposite side of the wall anchoring to the other side of the same stud.
  2. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

Jun 16, 2007
    Licensed Electrical Contractor
    NY State, USA
    I have never heard of such a rule. Not even a local one.

It is definitely not an NEC requirement.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

Jun 14, 2007
    North Carolina
    This is a building code requirement and ONLY applies to fire rated walls.

Allied makes a two hour fire rated box and there is also different methods that can be used to install boxes in a fire rated wall.
  5. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

Feb 9, 2006
    Springfield, IL
    Also for sound deading purposes, so that sound will not transmit to the room on the opposite side of the wall.