* outdoor faucet knob too tight *

Users who are viewing this thread

john123

Reaction score
All winter, 2 water faucets close to the lawn were unused. Now I can not turn the knob too. Used a wrench to move the knob; used WD40 lubricant-didn't help.

One of them, opened the nut, wahser and the nut on top of the knob, cannot even put the nut back.

What should have been a minor task has become a huge problem for me.
Any help is appreciated not having to call a plumber for this.

Rb249

Reaction score
Website
moorelandscaping.webs.com
help for bad hose bib

All winter, 2 water faucets close to the lawn were unused. Now I can not turn the knob too. Used a wrench to move the knob; used WD40 lubricant-didn't help.

One of them, opened the nut, wahser and the nut on top of the knob, cannot even put the nut back.

What should have been a minor task has become a huge problem for me.
Any help is appreciated not having to call a plumber for this.

Yes - they make hose bib assemblies with a vaccuum breaker stub that protrudes into the wall behind the hose bib itself. assuming you have this hose bib into a basement, you should replace your old connection with one of these, and install a globe or ball valve before it's connection. In winter, you shut off the valve inside, then open the hose bib outside about 1/2 way. Once the water has drained, coat the interior with vaseline or graphite powdered lubricant. Sorry you cannot just repair the hose bib, but if the nut is stripped you are doomed to replace the hose bib (cheaper than all replacement parts and time) By replacing to the system mentioned above, you should never have the problem again. If you already have that type of hose bib, then replace, but do your pre-winter maintenance, add a valve to shut off the water to it. The stub mentioned is about 6" long. It is so that when water is drained, the system will stay dry, not freeze or collect gummy debris from the air causing corrosion. WD-40 does not work so well on brass parts, you will need PB Blaster or general gel lube. A wintergreen nut cracker solution works best from my experience. WD-40 is good for composites, inconel, aluminum and other aircraft material, but not so good on plumbing. Check your local codes before use though.
To install/ replace your hose bib, if you have no solder experience or plumbing, check your local library or DIY Home Improvement store. Get a book on DIY plumbing, then get the "proper" materials and follow directions in the book and packages very carefully. If you have trouble with this, write me at Rb249@tampabay.rr.com, tell me your piping material and where it goes through the wall, ie: basement, 1st floor bedroom wall, etc., and I will try to steer you. Yes I have been a plumber, in the New England States out west and now down south. Water utility experience and now own a landscaping and irrigation business. I can help, but you will have to do the work. Good luck. OH, And MOST Importantly - before you begin work - shut off your water supply and water heater.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Anyone feeling lead on here¿

carrot-blessing.jpg

john123

Reaction score
Hose Bib

This looks a bit invovled and need few plumbing tools.

There are 2 faucets in question, one of them I did not do any when the knob did not turn clockwise. If there is a tool or some strong arm, will try to turn the knob again.

Feeling bad to have to call a plumber for such a minor issue with faucet. (until i made this bigger by messing it up on one)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks