outdoor faucet drip

Users who are viewing this thread

lkrides

Reaction score
A winter or two ago I replaced a regular outdoor sillcock with a 1/4 turn valve. For this winter I have turned off the interior shutoff valve and drained the line by removing that small cap I'm gonna call a bleeder. I left the 1/4 turn valve open outdoors. I noticed that the outdoor valve is dripping weeks later. I double checked that the interior valve is off and drained and it is. Ideas? Should I leave the outdoor valve open? Capped?

Thanks for your reply.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the faucet is dripping, the interior shutoff needs either service or replacement. Note, an exerior sillcock should be protected with a vacuum breaker by code. They do make add-on ones. If you close the external valve, the line will end up full of water, and if it freezes, the pipe will split.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The best thing to do is to replace the valve with a frost free that is connected directly into the supply line in the structure. You might want to wait until warm weather to do this, and to get by until spring, just remove the 1/4 turn valve and the pipe leading to it, and cap or plug the internal valve. That valve needs to be removed and replaced with a tee for the frost free. A frost free has the vacuum breaker as part of the assembly. After you have that installed, next year just be sure the hose is not attached going into the winter. The valve will drain all the way to the tee. If the hose is left attached, the faucet will not drain and the valve will freeze and split.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As an aside, there are frost free hose bibs that will drain, regardless of whether you remove the hose or not, but the most common ones will be damaged during a freeze cycle when a hose is left on most of the time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks