Orangeburg pipe safe to snake?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joe R

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a problem with the french drain that is around my home. It dumps into the storm drain, but it appears to be partially clogged with roots. I don't know exactly where it goes, so I can't dig it up at the source of the clog.

Where it empties into the storm drain, it appears to be orangeburg pipe. All the lines in the house including the main sewer line I believe) are PVC...is it possible the township ran the orangeburg for just a short distance to the storm drain?

Either way, while I am afraid that snaking the pipe could break what's left of the orangeburg, (if it is orangeburg), I am not sure why I shouldn't try it. If I collapes, I need to replace it, and if I don't snake it I need to replace it...no? I guess I could get someone to look at it with a camera, but again, shouldn't I do that after we try to snake it?

By the wyam the clog is about 150 feet in, and there is not clain out that I am aware of.

Thanks for your help!

Any other advice?

Last edited:

Joe R

Reaction score
This FD isanywhere between 5-9 feet deep...sincve it is not made of metal, any tips on how exactly to find it? I would love to put clean outs in.

Thanks

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Try running something metal in the pipe for the metal detector. I have had a lot of problems with the Orangeburg piping before. I like the PVC French drain better.

I have a PVC French drain and a PVC pipe that runs all the way around my house. The PVC pipe is for gutters and to help move the water out of the French drain. Both pipes are 6†and I wish I would have gone bigger.

Joe R

Reaction score
"nailed" Finding pipes...

I thought of the metal detector and metal object...but the metal detectors that I can rent can only pick up things the size of man hole covers at 9 feet.....Can't get that much metal in there...I can get something about the size of my fist...

Anyone have any other ideas???

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ok let’s go with a magnet. You might need one on a cord and give it some juice. But they will pick it up better than the metal.

Have you called any one who dose snake work? They might be able to send in a scope for you. The good ones will be able to tell you where to dig after a scope job to find the pipe.

I have found sewer lines that were 8’ under with a huge magnet I took from my grand father and a ½ way descent metal detector.

But I would dig it all up. Do you know who it’s made or made of?
http://www.mlive.com/homeimprovement/index.ssf?/hg/aroundhouse/stories/20050302zolton.html

Joe R

Reaction score
"Got Nailed"

Excellant idea...Magnet...I can try that...

Now, once I do find it, and I can conform it's orangeburg, I might as well have the entire thing replaced correct? Or, since it is only being used for french drain, do you think I can replace the bad part? I read somewhere that most of the reason for orangeburg failing is because of people flushing chemicals into the sewer..obviously not happening here....I also look into a neighbors storm drain....same type of pipe...interesting thing is my house was built in the early 70's...there's in the 50's...I am starting to wonder if the orangeburg is only running from the storm drain to the french drains, and maybe the FD's are made of something else...I hate to have someone come out and dig all this up only to figure out what I am dealing with.......sorry for the long message.....

Pinerider

Reaction score
A good tv camera inspection should tell you where your pipe is and what kind it is. Around here it costs about $250 or so, but with a colour camera, you can usually differentiate pipe types.
Orangeburg or bituminous fibre pipe will fold up on itself after about 30 years or so. Also, sometime when you rod it, you might poke a hole through the side of it. If that's what you have, replace it for sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks