Opinions on bottle traps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Sluggo

Reaction score
I'm installing a sink above an open counter in a small guest bathroom, so the P trap will be exposed. Rather than go with a standard chrome P trap, I was considering a good quality bottle trap. I understand that the use of some bottle traps is not to code in some areas. I'm in King County. What's the attitude of inspectors concerning these devices? And, any recommendations on who manufactures a good one? I was considering something like this:
Kohler K-9033-CP

k-9033.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most, if not all, codes prohibit bottle traps. One consideration if you do use one is that you have ZERO lateral adjustment, The drain in the wall has to be directly behind the opening in the sink.

Sluggo

Reaction score
Thanks. The alignment isn't an issue for this installation. I am curious about why there would be a prohibition, particularly on a model like this Kohler where there is a bottom plug and an O ring for easy cleanout.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is NOT the problem. The problem is that it depends on a 'hidden baffle" to perform its trap function, and the is NO physical way to tell when, or if, the baffle has failed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks