Ontario Building Code for Plumbing a bathroom in Mississauga

Users who are viewing this thread

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am trying to help a friend reno a powder room in Mississauga, Ontario. I have read the FAQs posted here, but need some clarification...

The powder room currently has a toilet & a vanity. The toilet drains through a 3" pipe that flows into a 3" main soil stack 4' away. The vanity sink drains into a 2" pipe that joins the 3" toilet pipe 1" from the toilet flange. This vanity drain continues up through the roof to vent.

We want to install a tub where the toilet is currently, keep the sink plumbing (just replace the sink) and move the toilet to the other end of the room. The toilet will be 8' from the main soil stack.

Bearing in mind that this is the City of Mississauga:

1. Can the toilet feed into the main soil stack with no other venting?
  2. If so, what is the limit of the distance of that run?
Proposal1.jpg

If I can do this, my problem is solved. If not I need to know:

1. If the toilet does require a vent, can I vent it like this?
  2. Are there limits to the distance of any of these runs?

Proposal2.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any advice!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
The 2" size you posted for the lav (bathroom sink) drain diameter makes sense. A bathroom sink is usually 1.25", and can be 1.5" pipe diameter. If you're using the bathroom sink to wet vent the bathroom then 2" is what you need.

The length of your 3" drain is not my biggest concern. (A toilet can be drained on a pipe going a long distance, under IPC based codes.) IPC and UPC based codes are all there are. Local variations (Ontario or Mississauga) will not have changed the pipe sizing and distance limits; local variations in codes deal with other stuff (e.g. like materials, like whether to allow homes to have supply lines made of CPVC).

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. You are correct that this is a learning process for me; presumably, if I was a plumber, I wouldn't need to ask in the first place! :)

I'll try to explain better.

I'm trying to use as much of the existing plumbing as possible, so the tub will be using the 3" pipe the toilet uses currently. The bathroom sink drain itself is 1 1/4', but the plumbing in the wall that it flows into is 2". If that is unusual, all I can say is that the house was built in 1966 and the plumbing has not been touched since! It's definitely 2" and that 2" drain/vent flows into the current 3' toilet pipe (which will be the tub) 1' after the flange.

In the above picture, the tub is where the toilet is currently. The sink and its plumbing remains as it is and the toilet is the new proposed fixture.

If the distance of the toilet from that 3" soil stack is 8', can I install it without any further venting required?

Proposal3.jpg

The tub can come off the 2" lav waste line on the horizontal, using a wye or combo. That allows the lav to wet vent the tub. Also the toilet.
Added by a moderator.

wet_vent_upc_3_4_bath.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks