Only half of furnace burners ignite--looking for troubleshooting advice...

Users who are viewing this thread

joey024

Reaction score
I have a Carrier 58PAV090-14 gas furnace/electric heat pump. I have two issues I deal with constantly... One is that when the temperature is ~32F for a extended length of time (32F is the temperature border between electric heat pump/vs gas furnace), the heat pump freezes up... It's not the end of the world, but it's a slight inconvenience. Any ideas on preventing this? Change the border temperature?

The next issue is also a inconvenience, but is more critical in that it affects the operation of the gas furnace. For some reason, all four burners often (it's inconsistent) don't ignite unless I intervene. The process of starting looks good until ignition... The first burner easily ignites because of the igniter, second burner also ignites... But the third usually doesn't--the flame just doesn't cross the gap. If I blow the flame from burner 2 to 3 works fine--easily ignites the fourth burner which heats the sensor for normal operation. I haven't done much but stare at it--I have no idea what the problem is... Mechanical defect in the burner aparatus? It doesn't appear to be a draft problem or gas pressure problem (once all are ignited all four flames look the same). What gives?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks