Older septic system runs fuller than it should; how to clear out sediment from lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Austindcc

Reaction score
Selling a home in California with an older concrete septic system. We lived in the house for 4 years and dumped a ton of water into it (2 adults, 3 young kids, lots of laundry/baths/etc). We had no problems and even now the system can dissipate water. But when I had it dug up and pumped, they ran a water test and said it runs "3/4 full," as in, the drain pipe is covered 3/4 of its height with effluent at the tee. Once the water flow stopped, the tank returned to normal level. Because of this, he wouldn't "Certify" it, but we still want to pass the system on to the buyer in as good of shape as we can.

So I had the lines scoped. It's terracotta pipe with a bunch of sediment in it, but no blockages/breakages/roots/whatever. He got the scope 60' into the line before the friction made it too hard to push it, but there was still no blockage. Of course he wanted to sell me a new tank, etc, but that's way too much $$ and not required by any means at this point.

My next thought is to have someone hydro-jet out the lines to clear out the sediment. In my rookie opinion this is really the only possible explanation for the tank running full, since there is no other blockage.

Just looking for some input/advice at this point. Does this sound like a good idea? Anything I should be aware of? If the hydrojets push all the sediment back into the tank, I guess we will have to have it pumped again?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks