Old tub three handle faucet leaks

Users who are viewing this thread

jstump

Reaction score
I have an old tub faucet that leaks out of the faucet. The stems were replaced about 6 years ago and I replaced the o - rings today. Water still trickles - not drips - out of the faucet. Could someone give a bit of advice to a disabled woman whose husband has very recently had hernia surgery and cannot help do the work. Working with a very tight budget right now. Could I double up the o - rings to do a temporary fix? Picture of faucet and tap setup included

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
You need to replace the seats if they are old. I am suspecting that the things you replaced are "washers"
514866_WebOnly_35px_TIF_JPG.jpg
rather than O-rings
430feeb6-34ae-4f7e-b731-33569bfc07ca.jpg
, but I could be wrong.

To do that, you would remove the stems as you did to access the washers, and use a "seat wrench" to unscrew the seats. You would take the old seat to a plumbing place and buy new ones to match.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with Reach4 about the seats but if you did not open the the valve before screwing it into the valve body that could be the reason too. It is an easy mistake to make. When you put the new stems in the valve did you open the stem? If you do not do that when you install them, you may not be able to fully close the handle. Sometimes that will cause the faucet to leak a little as you described.....It is an easy fix. Shut the house water off. Loosen the stems from the valve body, open up the valve and then tighten the stem into the valve body. Close the stem and turn the water back on. ....... If it still leaks after that, then you probably do need new seats as Reach4 said.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I replaced the o - rings today.
What are you talking about?

Can you provide a pic of what you think are "o - rings"? And can you take a photo what you "replaced"?

Right now your description is vague and unclear, and most likely inaccurate and incorrect. So I will make this assumption: these fixtures use bibb washers, and they must be the exact expected size in i.d, o.d, and thickness, so they can sit snug in the stem correctly and seal shut a bibb seat.

So aside from the bibb washers, bibb seats can also be damaged from corrosion, which is why they can all be removed and replaced too. You will need a bibb seat removal tool, or a bibb seat resurface tool. A new bibb washer can never seal shut over a damaged bibb seat.
Could someone give a bit of advice to a disabled woman
If you want more help, please provide the pics as specified above, or ask someone that can help you with the pics if you are unable to do so.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks