Old mildew

Users who are viewing this thread

sukh 31

Reaction score
Hi everyone, we were planning on re-caulking the bathtub and I was thinking about re-caulking the tiles as well but only if i cannot clean them. The house is over 15 years old and we have been in it for around 8 years now so the black mildew has really had a lot of time to settle in.

I was just wondering if anyone here has any advice to clean it or can recommend a really good cleaner for mildew that old.

thanks!

sukh 31

Reaction score
i mean the white caulking that is put in between the tiles, that is where the mildew is.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The material between ceramic tile is (or should be!) a cement based grout. Now, industry standards call for caulk at the changes of plane (corners and tile to tub, for example). There are some grouts that have built-in fungicides that help. You may be able to just clean it well. If you do want to replace it, you have to dig the old stuff out. This can be timeconsuming and prone to chipping the tile if you are not careful.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks