Old Delta single lever shower faucet issue

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by scabbler, Aug 14, 2012.

1. scabbler

scabbler New Member

Hi,
    Recently replaced the springs and seats in an old Delta shower faucet.

This is a picture of one similar to mine...

http://www.masterplumber.net/delta/images/622_repair/delta_6221.JPG

The problem is that the notch that is at the 3 o'clock position in that picture, is at the 1 o'clock position in mine. So now the knob travels at an angle and is all out of whack.

When I was removing the cover, it was tight and I had to give it a good tug. Did I perhaps bend the assembly somehow, and the notch got rotated? Sorry if Im using the wrong terminology here.

How can I get that notch back to 3 'oclock position?

Thanks!!
  2. johnjh2o1

johnjh2o1 Plumbing Contractor for 49 years

That is what you did. The older delta faucets had three small copper tubes between the valve body and the section connected to the nut that you forced. Don't try to turn it back or it will break off. At this point your looking at replacing the faucet.

John
  3. scabbler

scabbler New Member

Darn. I take it that this replacement job is best left to a professional? Any idea of labor costs?
    Thanks.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

It all depends on your skill level and access. If you can open the wall from behind, it's one thing. If you can't (say it's an outside wall or behind some cabinets in the adjacent room), then the only way to replace it is to make the hole in the shower bigger. They do sell rennovation or remodel plates especially for this to cover the bigger hole, then the new valve and trim is placed on top of that trim plate.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Well, if you could find a good plumber, and I am too far away from you, he could remove the twisted part and reinstall it in the proper location. I have done it many times, sometimes even for plumbers who did what you did.