Obstruction help.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by orbea1, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. orbea1

    orbea1 New Member

    I'm in the process of moving my toilet about 2 feet. After pulling up the floor boards, I found that my main gas pipe was directly in the way. My plan is to cut the copper pipe and put on a Fernco coupling and convert to CPVC. I'd run horizontal for a few inches and then to get up and over the pipe, I thought I'd put in a street 45 attached to another 45 and then go horizontal again until closet bend. Didnt know if that is a no-no though.
    (Assume 1/4" slope, 3 inch pipe, and I am under IPC)
    bathroom remodel 018_320x240.jpg
  2. Gary Swart

    Gary Swart In the Trades

    Yakima WA
    You really don't want to put bends in you toilet drain. I think the simplest thing to do is to have the gas line rerouted to provide the space you need and then use copper to extend the drain. I can't really tell for sure, but the flange looks like it could stand to be replaced while you're at it.
  3. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Cave Creek, Arizona

    It will work for a toilet, but the inspector has to be knowledgeable about the piping hydraulics and dynamics to realize that it will function properly.
  4. orbea1

    orbea1 New Member

    Thanks for the input.
    I could reroute the gas pipe. What i didnt mention and what is also going to be in the way is a large heating duct. It is justly barley seen in the bottem right corner of the photo. That cant be moved.

    So you are saying it can been done just not an ideal situation or would you recommend not doing it at all?
  5. Herk

    Herk Plumber

    S.E. Idaho
    You can't legally put horizontal offsets in a trap arm so far as I know. And if you think you're going to replace copper with CPVC, perhaps you should hire someone who knows what they're doing. Of course, if you just like replacing ceilings, go for it.
  6. fidodie

    fidodie New Member

    new jersey
    the more compliant way to do this might be to cut into the stack and start with pvc right from there, you could then "aim" it to the correct location of the toilet flange, avoiding horizontal offsets, and locate the fitting higher so there is a straight run above the gas line. looks like there is room to get in there.
  7. orbea1

    orbea1 New Member

    Yeah, I'm guessing that would be the best solution. Only problem is that there is a side inlet off the Santee to the stack, raising everything up would require having to run that short, 2 inch branch arm through a couple of joists. SHould be do-able though.
  8. kordts

    kordts In the Trades

    exurban Chicago
    Offset the riser with two 3" copper DWV 45's.
Similar Threads: Obstruction help
Forum Title Date
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Locating obstruction in finished underfloor heating system (water) Sep 28, 2004
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Help basement laundry vent Thursday at 9:16 PM
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Help isolate SQE/CU301 problem Sunday at 11:49 AM
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice Help with first quote on a job Dec 11, 2014
Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice HELP! I’ve Fallen, and I can’t.....OK not really....., but I do need help! Dec 11, 2014

Share This Page