Oatey Wshing Machine Outlet Box Help

Users who are viewing this thread

ct2963

Reaction score
Hi All - New homeowner here and I sure could use some help.

We hooked up our washer and dryer to the laundry room which seems to have an Oatey Outlet Box in the wall a few weeks ago. When I connected the drain from the washer into the spot on the box I was surprised there wasn't any way to 'firmly' connect it to the box. Well I asked a friend and he assured me that all that was needed was to push the drain as far in as possible and all would be ok. Against my better judgement I did so. Its worked so far until tonite. You can guess what happened. Water everywhere !! The drain came out of the outlet box and the water discharged all over the place.

Back to my problem. How am I supposed to connect the washer discharge drain to the box 1/2 up the wall? The box has a hole for the drain and the hot and cold water pipes with a single shotoff coming in. My dischareg hose is made of rubber while the box itself is PVC. Any advice?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your washer hose be "J" shaped on the end and hang into the standpipe. If there is so much pressure on the hose that it pops out, do as HJ suggests and devise something to prevent it from lifting out under pressure. A washer drain is open air meaning it is not a sealed connection. Newer washers discharge a large volume of water very quickly which means there is a lot of pressure and that may be what is causing your problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks