Oatey No-Calk Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

pbradley_1

Reaction score
I am putting in a Swanstone shower pan and purchased an Oatey No-calk drain for it. When I first checked everything, it seemed my pipe coming into the drain was 3/4" too high. The drain I am using is the type you have a 'caulk' rubber seal that is compressed by a nut that fits inside the drain. I was assuming the pipe should only come to the top of the rubber caulk otherwise water would sit in the space between the pipe and the drain body. I removed the 3/4" so it would be level with the rubber caulk before compression. Anyway, I didn't account for the concrete I was going to place under the pan so now the rubber caulk sits 1/4 inch above the pipe. Should I just tighten it down, put some silicone under the ring and tighten it down, remove the caulk and cut it shorter, more invasive repairs? Thanks.

oatey_no_calk_drains.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this but that pipe needs to extend above the rubber. Anything less is weak and probably will leak. Having the pipe extend past is not a problem as long as the strainer can go on.

pbradley_1

Reaction score
well the strainer isn't the problem so much as getting the 'wrench' into the locknut grooves to tighten it. If the pipe sticks up above the caulk too much, the wrench won't be able to tighten the locknut/compression nut.

toolpro

Reaction score
I know this posting is old, but thought I'd share this anyway. Some one may still be looking for just this tool. I found a tool that works great, they are selling out constantly, however I believe they have more arriving in a few weeks. Check out www.bulldogdraintool.com and good luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks