Number of Outlets/lights

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I was adding 2 highhats 60w to a basement circuit. I noticed there are already 6 hats and 8 outlets on this circuit. This seemed like a lot to me. I am not to concerned cause the outlets are never used.

What are the standards for the number of fixtures or outlets on a given circuit? Since I have the ceiling open I may route a new circuit for the lights if it is recommended.

Thanks in advance,

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
Is it a 15 or 20 amp circuit. If it's a 15 amp circuit you have 1800 watts available which we would only put 1440 watts on (80% for continuous load).
For rating purposes a receptacle is usually rated at 180W.
8*180= 1440
6*60=360
2*60=120 (new lights)
total 1920 watts

If it's a 15 amp circuit you are already overloaded on it.
I hope it's a 20 amp circuit which would be 2400w. The total for a 20 amp circuit would be acceptable but maxed out for design purposes.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The receptacles are not in a commercial building so the 180 watt per rec. don't count.

the proper way to figure the load for a 15 amp circuit would be 3 watts per square foot. 600 square feet can be installed on a 15 amp circuit.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The receptacles are not in a commercial building so the 180 watt per rec. don't count.

the proper way to figure the load for a 15 amp circuit would be 3 watts per square foot. 600 square feet can be installed on a 15 amp circuit.

Hmm..Guess that shows that I typically do commercial. :D Thanks for the correction.

KD

Reaction score
It is OK to run a separate circuit fro the lights, especially if the basement is over 600 SF, but it is not required. Your load is 8 x 60 watts = 480 watts max. Many people change over to fluorescent bulbs with an open type trim, (light bulb visible). Fluor bulbs use about 23 watts for about 90 watts of light. The open trim is because can lights build up heat and the fluor bulb ballast will fail sooner if installed in a sealed space. 8 x 23 = 184 watts..... If you want to, you can put 50 receptacles on a residential circuit, but you still need a circuit for every 600 SF--some AHJs require for every 500 SF.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks