Noisy pipes, pressure / air in the lines?

Users who are viewing this thread

mhb22079

Reaction score
Hello:

I know next to nothing about plumbing and am hoping that I can get some basic information so that when I hire one to come out an investigate the issue I can have some good feeling that the conclusion is logical.

My rear outdoor spigot "whines" when the valve is closed. The front one does not whine but if the hose is full of water and I turn off the valve it seems "decompress" by spraying water from the hose attachment from what seems to be pressure. Finally, sometimes both spigots seem to have air in them in that the water does not immediately come from them.

Can anyone tell me what in general causes these condition and what if anything a somewhat handy person can do to correct the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The "whining" of the one hose bibb is probably either a loose packing or uneven seat washer, loose seat washer vibrating.

A true rebuild of the wearable parts will solve that issue.

On the other faucet, it sounds like you're describing either a Anti-Siphon faucet or one with a vaccum breaker. Both of these will act like you describe upon shutting off or when there is a difference in pressure. The device is doing what it's supposed to do, protect.

Post a picture or google the product you have and show an image of what you have.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks