No wax ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maureen Connors

Reaction score
New old-ish house, 70s era build on a slab, Florida.
Old toilet started leaking in a major way, so we yanked it to prep for new one.
There was NO wax ring (or rubber/plastic).
Is it possible that it fell apart into the drain pipe and is going to cause problems?
PVC drain pipe.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
"Is it possible that it fell apart into the drain pipe and is going to cause problems?
PVC drain pipe."

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Possible, yes, likely, no. Is there any evidence of wax residue on the flange or bottom of the toilet? Some seem to like to set them in plaster of paris...not a good idea to me.

Without a proper seal, while a toilet may not leak waste unless there's a backup in the main, it can leak sewer gas and let in things like sewer flies.

WorthFlorida

6th clinical trail chemotherapy 5/15/24
Solutions
Reaction score
New old-ish house, 70s era build on a slab, Florida.
Old toilet started leaking in a major way, so we yanked it to prep for new one.
There was NO wax ring (or rubber/plastic).
Is it possible that it fell apart into the drain pipe and is going to cause problems?
PVC drain pipe.
A wax ring is thick and gooey and hardly possible it could break up.

Florida, hum. I bought a new home in Lake Worth, FL built in 1990 and as all homes in Florida, a concrete slab is the first floor. My next door neighbor had moved in about 6 months earlier. He started to notice the bathroom vanity side walls were expanding and getting wet. A typical builders grade cabinet made with particle board. The builder cut the wall open from the other room behind the bathroom sink and did not finding any leaks. After a few weeks going back and forth, sure enough the toilet had no gasket. With a gap large enough between the toilet and flange, water was working through the groves in the thin set. It was not done on purpose but maybe an apprentice forgot to install one.