No room on busbar

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by cruiser, Dec 6, 2007.

1. cruiser

cruiser Member

Hi,

I'm coming to the end ( I hope) of a rewire on my house. I've got all my new circuits to the panel and have enough room for my breakers but do not have enough slots on the busbar to take all the neutrals and grounds for same. How do I fit a larger one? When I bought the house the neuts and grounds were mixed on the bars, each under it's own screw though is this ok?

I'm planning to hire an electrician to come check my work but want to have done a bit of researching on this topic first.

Thanks folks
  2. 480sparky

480sparky In the Trades

If the neutral is bonded to the box itself, why not just get a ground bar and install all your grounds onto that, thus freeing up all the slots in the present bar for the neutrals?

[​IMG]
  3. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

You can have two grounds (but not two neutrals) under one screw, possibly more depending on the manufacturers recommendations. This might free up some space.
  4. cruiser

cruiser Member

Thanks folks, Ian I'm goning to look at that today thanks for the idea:)

:)
  5. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

As long as the ground is the same size wire it can be doubled up.

Sorry, should have clarified that.