No mortar under BainUltra airbath?

Users who are viewing this thread

hans_idle

Reaction score
I'm a DIYer and have just started a master-bath remodel. I've removed a whirlpool tub that has a capacity of 150 gallons. Now I'm preparing the site for a new BainUltra airbath with a capcity of 65 gallons.

Looking through the instructions for the BainUltra tub (Amma 42"x72" oval), there is no mention of a mortar or adhesive bed under the tub. Normally, I'd just go ahead and put some down, but the whirlpool that I removed didn't have any mortar under it.

The new tub is installed in a podium with a surround, just like the old tub. So my guess is that I don't NEED to put mortar underneath, but I don't know how to verify.

Any ideas? Is a mortar bed necessary for a podium-style tub and surround?

Thanks.

-Hans

Construct30

Reaction score
Go to their web site and click the contact us and ask or call their 800 number. Most new tubs have OSB built into the fiberglass or whatever they are made out of and they have feet that need shimmed with some thing, but not a full mortar bed like the old ones. If in doubt ask the manufacturer.

hans_idle

Reaction score
I gave BainUltra a call and they verified that the cement underneath is not necessary. Of course, they said I can used it for added stability if I would like, but that it is not necessary.

I'll take a look under the tub (which I haven't done yet) to see if there are any feet. When I do the dry-fit, I'll see if it seems stable enough.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Nearly any non-cast iron tub will feel more substantial embedded. A few inclue a full-contact support.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks