Nipple Length

Users who are viewing this thread

Maximus_Slime

Reaction score
I am sure this question has been asked multiple times but I cannot figure out the right words to internet query what I'm looking for.

If someone had a 1/2" brass nipple going into a brass drop elbow for the tub spout, what's the measurement added to the pipe length to account for the take up?

My guess is 1/2" inch. Putting on a kohler spout so my measurements need to be somewhat precise.

Also, what's the tech term for this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't know the answer. I am not a plumber. This procedure may work for you. What you can do is buy a cheap 1/2 inch too-long galvanized nipple. Screw it together, but don't bother with tape or use just a little. Measure the gap.

Get a brass nipple that is the gap size smaller than galvanized nipple. Order one if you have to. Take baths using the galvalnized nipple until you get the brass nipple. If you take a shower, it may leak. It may not. Unscrew the galvanized nipple and put in the brass nipple.

You will add PTFE tape and maybe pipe compound to the new nipple. So that will cause the brass nipple to stick out farther if that were the only change. You will tighten the brass nipple more than you did the galvanized. That will shorten the gap. Between those two adjustment methods, you will deal with the fact that you will not find a nipple that is exactly the size that you wanted.

If searching for how to do it, I would try Kohler spout brass nipple as a search.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
When making up IPS 1/2" we normally figure 1/2" thread inside a fitting

Maximus_Slime

Reaction score
Thanks.

That means I'll need a 7 1/4" nipple. Short of having something custom fabricated I'll most likely convert this to a slip on application. I found a kohler slip on in my box of plumbing parts I'll probably use.