New wood siding--stain now or later?

Users who are viewing this thread

Guy48065

Reaction score
My contractor has taken far longer to side my cottage with white cedar shiplap than I expected--started 6 weeks ago. He should be done by the end of this week but in northern Michigan the temps barely hit 70 right now with overnight lows in the upper 40's. I have Sikkens SRD penetrating stain/finish (transparent natural color) on hand but I'm concerned it might be too late to apply.

Should I wait till warmer weather next May or so...and will this mean extra steps if the siding turns grey by then?
Should I consult with the mfr on this?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The instructions on the can should say if there's a min/max temperature for installation. If you're within the range, it should be okay. A stain may not have a min. If you like the color of the wood now, it's best to protect it now.

The tech support of the manufacturer is a good place to start after you've fully read the instructions on the can.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks