New wood siding--stain now or later?

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by guy48065, Oct 10, 2013.

1. guy48065

guy48065 Member

Sep 26, 2013
    SE and north MI
    My contractor has taken far longer to side my cottage with white cedar shiplap than I expected--started 6 weeks ago. He should be done by the end of this week but in northern Michigan the temps barely hit 70 right now with overnight lows in the upper 40's. I have Sikkens SRD penetrating stain/finish (transparent natural color) on hand but I'm concerned it might be too late to apply.

Should I wait till warmer weather next May or so...and will this mean extra steps if the siding turns grey by then?
    Should I consult with the mfr on this?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    The instructions on the can should say if there's a min/max temperature for installation. If you're within the range, it should be okay. A stain may not have a min. If you like the color of the wood now, it's best to protect it now.

The tech support of the manufacturer is a good place to start after you've fully read the instructions on the can.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement