New Well, water test result in, need filtration recommendations

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog' started by bewing, Apr 6, 2011.

1. bewing

bewing New Member

Hello, I had a well drilled back in November, and finally have gotten to the point of getting a pump set and sent off for a water test. The water test is back and I need some help understanding some of the numbers and getting some help with what type of filtration I need. Here is some of the information about the well.

Drilled Depth - 165 ft.
    Hit water at - 135 ft.
    Static Water level - 80 ft.
    Diameter - 6" rock bore
    recovery rate - 10gpm
    Pump - 3/4 hp 12 gpm pump

Now for the test results (All results reported in mg/l unless otherwise indicated

pH - 6.82
    Dissolved Solids - 148
    Arsenic - <0.05
    Harness - 48
    Iron - 1.00
    Manganese - 0.101
    Nitrogen, Nitrate - .260
    Sulfates - 13
    Turbidity - 22 FTU
    Total Coliform - 6 Colonies/100ml

I don't know much about any of those numbers except that the Total Coliform scares me. The well has never been shocked, the driller didn't shock the well back in November when it was drilled, and it was never shocked after the pump was set about a month ago. Is shocking it the right thing to do and re-test. Or should I get some filtration to take care of the bacteria?

Thanks

Barret