New tub flange not square

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by jgk, Sep 30, 2013.

1. jgk

jgk New Member

Just bought a new tub which I'm installing into a bathroom with framing that I already knew was oversized (60-3/4), but I figured I should be able to shim the studs to get everything to line up. I find, however, that the brand new tub I bought has a flange that isn't square. At its shortest point, on one end, it's 59-1/2. At the opposite end, it's just shy of 60. As this is my first time doing a bathroom, I don't know if this is common and to be expected, and usually not an issue because the opening is usually square, or something screwy that should be returned. Comments? It's a steel tub with porcelain. With the way this tub is, and the non-square nature of the studs, it's going to be next to impossible to get the backerboard to extend out far enough so the tile isn't hitting the flange.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In the first place, I would NEVER even consider a porcelain steel tub for a permanent installation. In my opinion they are "defective" the day they are installed and just get worse.
  3. ThomPlumb

ThomPlumb New Member

I would visit the store where you bough the tub and take measurements of ones they have in stock and if any of those ones are better return the one you have.

You can also shim the studs out with plywood strips so when the backboard is attacked it will go over the tub flange.

Dont forget to put up a vapor barrier behind you cbu going over the flange of the tub.