New tub drain gurgles... venting issue?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by AMP, Jun 11, 2006.

1. AMP

AMP New Member

Hi All,

I'm in the process of turning an unused bedroom into a new master bath. We had the slab saw cut and had our plumber tie new drain lines into the existing 3" cast iron that happened to be running under this room.

On Friday we got the tub set and drain hooked up. I filled the tub with the garden hose in order to test-run the pump and heater. Everything is working very well... but... upon draining the tube I noticed a VERY loud gurgling noise from the overflow. The noise starts as soon as the stopper is lifted and continues until the tub is drained. Closing the stopper and re-opening it will allow the drain to run quietly for a few seconds then it starts gurgling again.

The tub and shower share a 1.5" vent which goes up 9 ft then across the attic (about 12ft) to tie into the 2" vent coming from the toilet.

Is this noise likely a venting issue? If so, what's the best course of action to solve it?

Thanks!
    -Andrew
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

As I understand it, each trap requires its own vent and it must be within certain distance from the trap depending on the size of the fixture.
  3. Lakee911

Lakee911 I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)

If your plumber did the work, you should call him back to correct the problem. Your vent isn't venting properly, thus the gurgling. It may be located too far from the fixture, not sized or sloped properly.

Good luck,
    Jason
  4. i have this problem too.

i installed a new tub close to where the old tub was. Why would that produce a lot of gurgling when it didn't before?

David
  5. casman

casman New Member

I am almost certain I was told on here before that the loud sounds were normal and a good thing. Mine is a clawfoot tub and the water cruises right out with loud sounds coming from the overflow, I did move my tub, had never used it prior and wasn't sure about the noise. I had concerns about the distance to vent cause I was a little over, but mine does not siphon.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

gurgle

One way to tell if a tub is draining at its maximum is if the drain DOES GURGLE through the overflow. That means the water is flowing so quickly that it is pulling air into the drain.
  7. casman

casman New Member

As always thanks Hj...
  8. rat4spd

rat4spd New Member

I got my tub done a week ago. I'm sure the gurgling could wake the dead, but the drain is right on top of the stack. It's a big tub and drains real quick.