new toilet in cabin

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by msuchodo, Apr 3, 2008.

1. msuchodo

msuchodo New Member

Hello, I am planning on installing a new toilet in a cabin that is seasonal and currently only has an outhouse. i will be installing a 300 gallon septic tank this spring and the only fixture will be this toilet. The roof is sharply pitched and I am a little concerned with climbing on it to cut a vent hole.
    a couple of questions.
    1. do i need to vent if this is the only fixture on the line? (read somewhere i dont)
    2. could I use a studor vent instead of outside vent pipe?
    3. from the attached pic, which way should i vent - directly off the vertical run or can i pick up off the horizontal?
    4. do i use a sanitary T or wye for the horizontal pickup?

thanks

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Are there no other items that will attach to the drain? No sinks, etc? You'll need a vent for the system, and while you could probably do one from the septic tank, most people perfer to have it higher up so it can get dispursed easier (i.e., on the roof). The vent serves two purposes, allows air flow so you don't get a vacuum which can suck adjacent drains dry, and to allow the system to vent any gasses that may be generated by the wastes decomposing.
  3. msuchodo

msuchodo New Member

Correct, there are no other items on this line, only the toilet
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

A Studor (aav) vent cannot be the sole vent in a system. There must be a vent to the outside.
  5. msuchodo

msuchodo New Member

Thanks, any thoughts on the T or Wye for the horizontal vent?
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

vent

The vent off the top of the tee would be one way to do it properly.